October 2018

Submitted by admin on Mon, 02/25/2019 - 16:32
Printable.pdf110.78 KB

Executive Board Meeting
Education Association of Worcester (EAW) conference room
397 Grove Street, Worcester 01605
10:00am, Friday, October 19, 2018

Minutes

IN ATTENDANCE:  Sherry Horeanopoulos (APA President, FITCHBURG SU President), Mark Powers (FRAMINGHAM SU President),  Aaron Childs (APA Membership), Mike Storey (BRIDGEWATER SU, President), Kathi Bradford (APA Secretary), Susan McNeil (MASS ART President), Seth Bean (MCLA SU President), Brian Cahillane (WESTFIELD SU President) 10:20am, Edward Vacha (MMA President), Katie Durso (MTA field rep), Alan Jackson (WORCESTER SU President), Jim Murphy (APA Treasurer) 10:44am,

ABSENT:  Charlie Cianfarini (APA Vice President), Liz Novak (APA Web Manager), Mike Pelletier (SALEM SU President),

I. Call to Order  - 10:03

II. Approval of Minutes of September 21, 2018 – Motion to approve by Mark, second by Mike S  8-0-0 PASSED

III. Public Comments

IV. President’s Report  - Sherry

  • HELC –
    • New HELC news.  Will know more info no later than next Thursday.  Governor has no more than 10 days to approve.
    • Suzanne (MTA Higher Ed Coordinator) will attend our annual meeting in November.
    • MSCA contract is nowhere near closure.  CJ will attend BOE Higher Education meeting next week.  If anyone can attend, please do.  They jumped in to support us when we needed it. 
    • Sherry will look at a possible action plan to contact legislators.
    • ULP was filed by MSCA
      • Sean King - Legislative Update (Informal Session)
      • Moving into campaign season - Supplemental Budget - closeout SUPP/Anxious to get this done.  Should be done this month (end of October).  Won’t be done in a formal session.  Rumor is that the SUPP will be done for only 2018 closeout.  Inside SUPP is line item for $88,000,000 for CBA reserve for all ratified contracts.  Action alert has gone out for contacting the Governor to encourage the signing of the SUPP (to all of MTA).  Overly political actions become problematic…may not get done.  Speak only with folks that you feel comfortable with - who will not kill the SUPP.  (No roll call votes - can be anonymous - avoid work-arounds).  Supps can move in an hours through the whole process.
      • Job 1 is to ensure that the contract funding remains intact in the budget.  Governor needs to be proactive (validate contract and ensure funding) and should engage his election needs (garner votes from state employees - does not want to alienate them now).
      • Remove need for specific legislation for every single contract in the funding process (to streamline the process).  SUPP for 2109 will be early January/February at best (MSCA contract?)  Revenue numbers have not been certified - weird that it is not - before the November election.
      • Max Page:  Intense effort with MTA staff on ORP settlement - some focus on it.  Push on SUPP budget and then turn to Adjunct Healthcare Bill.
      • MTA is looking at “Right to Strike” legislation (MCCC and AFSCME) - working on legislation to improve the Ratification/Approval/Funding process once it leave the bargaining table.
      • Update from Mass unions - management has taken the Vacation Accrual reduction and roll over to sick leave accrual is off the table. Deception that we should alert our membership about. 
      • Sherry specifically asked that the MTA Higher Ed Director take a moment to send a note of congratulations to APA members - make an effort to reach out to the membership and establish an MTA/APA relationship.
      • Reading of policy for MTA to address election or financial issues of a local resulted in motion to accept the policies - failed
  • Update – Contract
    • Some discussion about membership since Janus/contract
    • New forms for membership
    • Without the membership, we would not be where we are with our contract.  Sherry is available to discuss benefits with members.
    • Brief discussion about HR person advising new employees that membership is not needed.
    • Round the group check-in.
    • Make sure you check with HR for payment of retro.  Campuses may be interested in giving it to retired employees but, not those who have left.  Contract is for all as indicated by dates.
    • We have found some possible errors in the version of the contract sent to us.  Katie and Sherry will send the agreement to Jim Cox with notes.  If not approved, we will assume it is as is.  Please send edits by next week to Sherry and Katie. 
    • Jim requests the number of how many hard copies we want made by MTA. 
  • Listserve – Aaron shared a google program with Sherry who will review and give us feedback.
  • Committees will be decided today at this meeting.  Sherry asked Mark to serve on the dues committee.
  • New initiative – report from Katie and MTA.  In replacement of Raise Up, we are doing the “Fund our Future” campaign.  For HE it is to bring our funding back to where we were in 2001.  Approximately 5 million to meet this goal.  Suzanne is looking at member forums at various campuses.  Also, we can apply for an “all in” grant at $10 per member.  All in goal is 1/1 conversation with every single bargaining unit member.  We need to discuss how we want to embrace this or disregard it.  Katie is tasked with this communication.  Sherry indicates our membership is skilled at letter writing.  HE is already owed 5% of money from casino or approximately $12M. 

V. Treasurer’s Report - Jim

  • Payroll due on Tuesday, October 23, by 12:00pm to Jim Murphy
  • Jim updated the board regarding year end and months since then.  Sherry questioned reduction in Agency Fee costs.  Jim will investigate.
  • Additional reports were sent via email. 
  • Sherry discussed the refresh plan for computers.  Also, purchase for new members.  You will receive a stipend in the amount of $550 to offset the cost.
  • Kathi suggests submitting the annual report to Liz for the website.  Agreeable to all.  Will start with auditor final report next month.

    MOTION to approve Treasurer’s report by Brian, second by AJ – PASSED 10-0-0


VI. Membership and Data – Aaron

  • 1425 members, -7 from last month
  • 103 non-members, -2 from last month
  • Aaron gave us an update about importing addresses.  There is a problem because of how data is inputted.  Need consistency.
  • Refund request from a member who went from Fitchburg to Worcester (as a NUP).  Payroll error.
  • Aaron has received most updates from campuses with updated emails.

 

VII. Health and Welfare Report – AJ

  • As of 9/20 our portfolio are climbing. 
  • Discussion about being able to pay bills for 6 months.  Good shape.
  • Once we get to 8 months, we will have a discussion about what else we can offer our members. 

 

VIII. Committee Reports/Assignments – Sherry will assign by next month.

  • Mark will serve on dues committee
  • Negotiating committee – all are included if you would like.
  • Professional development
  • Budget and finance committee
  • Nominations and Elections committee
  • Working Committee for Employee Relations – This group will work on impact bargaining and the follow-up to the contract.

 

IX. Old/New Business

  • Arbitration regarding the Maritime flex time case – Member worked in the shipyard in NYC last spring for 9 weeks with no time off/away.  They offered what is currently in the contract – 16th day start accruing 1 day off for every 3.  There is past precedence.  When you worked a weekend day, take a day off.  Denied at steps 1 and 2.  We need to determine going to arbitration or not.  The arbitrator will decide. We would argue that in addition to specific Maritime hours listed, we think flexible scheduling should apply.  We could propose mediation.  It is possible we could lose arbitration because of the already existing plan.

    MOTION to offer a mediator to Maritime and split cost with them made by Brian and second by AJ.  PASSED 10-0-0
     
  • Website update –contract for Liz finalized.
  • Confirm Location of December meeting – will be at the Publick House in December.

    Motion to suspend bylaws by Edward and second Mike S to move meeting from December 21 to December 14. PASSED 8-1-1
     
  • Confirm details for the annual meeting in November –Bridgewater
    • 10 rooms at Residence Inn, 2020 Pleasant Street, Bridgewater, MA reserved                      (508) 697-1412– Kathi will connect with Charlie regarding rooms. (Please see below, Charlie)
    • Thursday night dinner – Great American Pub.  Mike will reserve
    • Annual meeting – Campus center room and working on parking.  2nd floor.  First meeting at 10 for us and then down the hall to the general ballroom area.  Cold cut sandwiches, etc.  Expect about 125-150.
    • Mike will arrange for Media
  • Local bylaws – please get them to Kathi – we need to work on the operating manual for the organization.


X. Institutional Issues 

                                                                                         

XI. Adjournment – MOTiON to adjourn by Mike S, second by Jim at 1:36pm  8-0-0

 

Next Meetings:  

November 15, 7pm – Institutional Issues at the Great American Pub, 1736 Broadway Rte 138, Raynham, MA 02767 508-824-4880
Overnight Accommodations:
Residence Inn- Bridgewater
2020 Pleasant St.
Bridgewater, MA 02324
508-697-1412

 

Nov 16, 2018, 10am-12pm - APA E-Board meeting with Auditor - Rondileau Campus Center, RCC 202

  • 12-1:30pm - General Meeting with APA Membership - Rondileau Campus Center, RCC 206A
  • BSU Campus Map               
    • Park in West Campus Lot.  Entrance is directly off Route at the BSU Welcome Center 104 just before crossing the railroad tracks.  Walk past Mohler-Faria Science and Mathematics Building and cross Park St.  Rondileau Campus Center is directly across from Science Building
    • You can apply for a guest parking pass for the day.
    • Present it to the parking lot attendant upon entering the West Lot and keep on dashboard. 


December 14 (NOTE MEETING DATE CHANGE from December 21) meeting and lunch at Publick House in Sturbridge, MA