September 2018

Submitted by admin on Mon, 02/25/2019 - 16:10

Executive Board Meeting
10:00am, Friday, September 21, 2018
MTA Office, Ashburton Place

ATTENDANCE:  Sherry Horeanopoulos (APA President, FITCHBURG SU President), Charlie Cianfarini (APA Vice President), Mark Powers (FRAMINGHAM SU President),  Aaron Childs (APA Membership), Mike Storey (BRIDGEWATER SU, President), Kathi Bradford (APA Secretary), Susan McNeil (MASS ART President), Seth Bean (MCLA SU President), Mike Pelletier (SALEM SU President), Liz Novak (APA Web Manager), Brian Cahillane (WESTFIELD SU President), Edward Vacha (MMA President), Katie Durso (MTA field rep)

ABSENT:  Alan Jackson (WORCESTER SU President), Jim Murphy (APA Treasurer)

 

I.  Call to Order 

II. Approval of Minutes of August 17, 2018

III. President’s Report  - Sherry

  • Introduction of Liz Novak
  • HELC
    • Other contracts about to be settled but, asked for new MOA’s with only salary items.  Possible need to support them too. 
    • Pioneer institute dinner happening with MTA protest.  Sherry asked if they could include contract info.  They denied our request.  Katie indicated that we had a HE staff meeting last week and said, they made a decision that locals could post their issues on the site.  They would not do it.  Sherry said, if you want to engage our people, send out a simple note saying, MTA recognizes you are having issues and we are behind you.  MTA denied it.  Sherry has declined to attend. 
    • Sherry let Max know about our concerns with MTA re: our support system and Merrie contacted her to assist with a thank you note. 
    • Concerned that our MTA/HE director is not at all connected with HE, only K-12.  Mark recommended having a conversation about our feelings.  Katie left the room for the discussion due to her role in MTA.  Group discussed options and the need to keep the issues about the person, not the organization. 

      MOTION to send a letter to MTA made by Charlie, second by Brian.  10-0-0
      Katie will invite Suzanne to our annual meeting in November.
       
  • Contract issues/concerns/update –
    • Currently, we are “in place” with the non-monetary items.  Officially, word is when we are funded we will do it.  Now, if someone will benefit from evaluation, do it.  If not, try to use the action plan for now.  Critical to participate in the process to benefit our membership.  Need to have consistency across our membership.
    • Call on Monday at 12:15 to talk about money and when we will receive it.  Sherry will update us after the call.  One more official step before the funding.  We met the target, likely to fund 2% and 2%.  Back pay (how much and who) is outlined in the agreement.  MSCA was very supportive of us.  Currently, about 7 items on their contract that were approved but the COP is not happy. 
    • Currently, Jim Cox is not happy with the executive board.   Sherry has been working to find out what the situation is.  (Issue with Liz Novak attending meeting using UNP)
    • Wrote the letter as discussed on conference call with action plans.  Received information re: the contract.  Some speculation that there was resolution.  Sherry felt she needed to alert Vincent Pedone about our letter.  He asked to see the letter and requested that Sherry hold off on the letter.  Mike Murray agreed.  Soon after, received message from Commissioner Santiago.  Alerted the executive board, the council of presidents and membership. 

IV. Treasurer’s Report - Jim

  • See information sent via email.
  • Payroll due on Tuesday, September 25, by 12:00pm to Jim Murphy

V. Membership and Data – Aaron

  • 1432 Members – Increase of 15
  • 105 non-members – Increase of 1.
  • MTA did not do bulk address update as requested in the summer
  • Aaron will send membership list.  All local presidents will add campus email addresses and return to Aaron. 
  • Membership form has changed.  Received mailing this week.  One page, not multiple copies.  Section for payroll, etc.  If they do not want to be a member, Aaron gets an update for that. 
  • Note:  to be a member of one level, they must be a member of all re:  dues.  (APA, MTA and NEA)  There is currently a committee to review the dues.  Katie will put Mark’s name in to join it.  

VI. Health and Welfare Report – AJ – No reports

VII. Committee Reports – No reports – Sherry requests your committee preference by next month.

VIII. Old/New Business

  • Website update
    • Liz recommended landing page with information related to the organization.
    • Phase one:  Need content. 
      • Connect with MTA and NEA, too. 
      • Recommend strong, attractive photos, etc. 
      • Also current events and most important topic. 
      • Link to contract. 
      • Board minutes.  (Kathi will send archive of minutes to Liz.) 
      • Links to senators/legislators. 
      • Executive board with email addresses. 
      • Link to local sites (web or social media). 
      • Bylaws.
      • Board updates (with links for messages from Sherry). 
      • Katie will send samples of other websites in HE. 
      • Local eboards with names and contact emails.
      • Weingarten or Union rights.  (maybe link right to MTA) 
      • State retirement board. 
      • Health insurance/GIC/Met Life
    • Should we have any part of it private to the board or members?  Not at this time.
    • Monthly Kathi will send minutes with directive for posting each month.  Archived minutes with institutional issues will be sent annually to Aaron for the google docs area. 
    • Sherry explained the SSS account for eboard emails, conversations, etc.  Liz may be added in the future. 
    • Phase two would incorporate articles, etc. and a link to each local’s chapter/information.  Maybe admin from each campus. 
    • Following that, would move to the more social aspects. 

      MOTION to allocate $2000 as the stipend for the Web Manager for the development of the website made by Susan, second by Brian.  PASSED 10-0-0
      Liz will add the payment and monthly stipend to her expense report. 

      MOTION to pay web manager ½ up front and ½ upon completion made by Brian, second by Mike S.  Liz shared the work she would be doing.  PASSED 10-0-0

      Discussion:  recommendation not to host at Maritime so cost for program would be approximately $30 per month.  

      MOTION to pay for an off-site location to host the website at approximately $30 per month made by Mike S and second by Seth.  Discussion of how payments will be made was had. Will work with Jim to figure out payment.  PASSED 10-0-0
       
  • List-Serv vote
    • Sherry shared thoughts about list-servs in general.  Discussion with board about process, etc.
    • Decision should be – should we try it or not and then discuss process, monitoring, etc.
    • Liz indicates we could have something monitored or not.
    • Kathi suggests use of a closed facebook group for a trial run.
    • Mike P indicates it is not just for negative information but, an opportunity to share information with colleagues and to meet new people. 
    • Sherry suggests executive committee review the options out there and report back to the board next month. 

      MOTION to create a option for members to express opinions and ask questions through a moderated facebook page by Susan, second by Mike.  No discussion.  3-7-0  FAILED
       
  • Vote on Colonial Insurance 
    • Does anyone want to endorse this??  MTA already has this kind of insurance available to members.

      Motion to reject Colonial Insurance proposal at this time with option to reconsider in the future by Seth, second by Mark.  PASSED 10-0-0
       
  • Decide Location of December/June Meetings
    • Discussion of retaining Publick House and MMA locations for December and June meetings.  Will confirm at October meeting.
    • Confirm November Annual Meeting - Bridgewater State November 16. 

IX. Institutional Issues                                                                            

X. Adjournment – Motion to adjourn at 1:11 by Edward, second by Seth.  PASSED 9-0-0

Meeting locations  

  • October 19, 2018.  10:00am, EAW - Worcester
  • November 15,  7pm Institutional Issues.   Location, tba.  November 16, 10:00 am executive board, 12pm  full membership, Annual meeting, Bridgewater State University
  • December 2, TBA – Publick House in Sturbridge (on hold for a vote in October).
  • January 18, Auburn
  • February 15, EAW Worcester, requested, not confirmed
  • March 15, Auburn
  • April 19, Auburn
  • May at MTA conference, date TBA
  • June 21, MMA