March 2018

Submitted by admin on Thu, 01/17/2019 - 20:15
printable.pdf126.46 KB

Executive Board Meeting
Friday, March 16, 2018, 10:00am
MTA Offices Auburn, MA

Attending: Sherry Horeanopoulos (APA President/FitchburgSU), Charlie Cianfarini (APA Vice President/MCLA), Michael Pelletier (President/SalemSU) at 11:09am, Kathi Bradford, APA Secretary (Westfield SU), Aaron Childs (APA Membership/WestfieldSU), Alan Jackson (President/WorcesterSU), Jim Murphy, Treasurer at 10:19am, Mike Storey (President/BridgewaterSU),

Not Attending: Edward Vacha (President, MassMaritime), Howie Larosee (President, MassArtSU), Rich Sutter (President/WestfieldSU), Katie D’Urso (MTA), Mark Powers (President/Framingham)

I. Call to Order at 10:09 by Sherry.

NOTE: No quorum at the start of the meeting. Upon arrival of Treasurer, Jim Murphy, we had 6 voters.

II. Approval of Minutes with a motion by Mark, second by Mike S. (Held until after Jim’s arrival.) PASSED 6‐0‐1 with a correction in location for 4/20 meeting.

III. President’s Report ‐ Sherry

  • Negotiations – Katie created a draft MOA that Jim sent back with edits. We will not approve it until all drafts are finalized and ready. After this meeting, we can give details out about money, evaluation process, flexible scheduling, bereavement and Vacation/sick benefits. We will schedule meetings on each campus to discuss changes with members. The first meeting will explain details for ratification. The second, with HR and maybe supervisors, re: Vacation/sick time, etc. We do not want this to get buried. You will get one change to put your days into sick time. There is no guarantee you will get 20% upon retiring, it is not contractual.
  • HELC Report – Concentrated on UMASS. They do not have many benefits we have. They are very concerned about the JANUS decision. Discuss the HE conference that we would normally have this year. On hold because all efforts going to the JANUS decision.
  • Meals at meetings – TLP orders lunch or by APA Board

IV. Treasurer’s Report ‐ Jim

  • Welcome back, Jim
  • Payroll due on Tuesday, March 20, by 12:00pm
  • Jim reviewed reports from November‐March.
  • February reports are in email.
  • MOTION to approve Treasurer’s report made by AJ. Second by Mike S. PASSED 5‐0‐1

V. Membership and Data – Aaron

  • 1403 members, down 2 since February
  • 78 agency members, same as February
  • 1 cash paying member. She has not paid yet. Questioned bill because it wasn’t “formatted” the way it should have been.
  • Renewal of APA server was a nightmare. We do not have the certficate info they required on the website. Took three weeks and now have a two‐year renewal. Will get a refund.

VI. Health and Welfare Report – AJ

  • Met last week. Many ups and downs because of market but, holding steady. MetLife came to the meeting with a renewal proposal. Told them we would get back to them. They wanted a 2% increase. We don’t want to see that. . .maybe 1.5%. Plan to keep everything the same with no increase in the H&W trust. AJ would move forward but will wait to see if the group agrees.

VII. Committee Reports – No reports

VIII. Old/New Business

  • Bylaws – Everyone received proposed bylaws changes. We need to update committees. Will need an Employee Relations working group. Kathi and Mark will be working on the Job Title explanations for the Appendix of the new MOA. All changes need to be made by April so we can vote during ratification. We also need election committees for each campus. If you are running for a state position, please get information to Amy Szlachetka at Westfield State. (ASzlachetka@westfield.ma.edu) One month notice for the election so, papers are due by 4/13. Ratification is 1 month after signing.
  • Proposed committees – Negotiating team (all), Committee on PD, Budget/Finance, Nominations and Elections, Special Committees. Please see Sherry’s email from 12/17/17. She received no feedback at that time.
  • Electronic Voting: Intelliscan – Katie – NO REPORT
  • Webmaster – Propose appointing a member for 2 hours/month at $50 to maintain/update site. We would also ask for a redesign proposal at $25 per hour or a one‐time proposed fee.
    • MOTION by Charlie, Second by Mike S. to create a Webmaster position for an active member at $50 per month plus an initial redesign at a rate of $25 per hour or one‐time proposed fee supervised by the Membership and Data Manager.
    • Note: Aaron would still be responsible for the server/mail components.
  • Qualifications of the treasurer – Jim will look at wording for the bylaws.
  • MOA – Called Katie to participate in review of MOA. 7 voting members present with Mike P’s arrival at 11:09am. Sherry recommends that VPs and HR will meet with us to review details.
  • APA‐EEO investigations? Charlie asked if they are happening on people’s campuses.
  • MTA Conference attendance and dinners ‐ Charlie updated us about the late reservation at the Capitol Grille, 8pm on May 4th. He also asked everyone to please find out how many delegates will be coming from each campus. Charlie proposed the following motions.
    • Motion 1 made by Charlie and 2nd by Sherry: Full day attendance at either the Friday or Saturday sessions of the MTA annual meeting as an executive board delegate will be required to have costs funded by or reimbursed by the APA. Delegate participation will be registered by the designated attendance checker each day. Should executive board members not attend either session, the costs of accommodations and/or dining (whichever has been availed) will be deducted from their monthly stipend. Additional, the APA will not reimburse travel to or from Boston and will not reimburse parking if delegates do not attend a full session. Following discussion, it was APPROVED 7‐0‐0
    • Motion 2 made by Charlie with a second by AJ: Executive board delegates attending the MTA annual meeting will be invited to dinner and allowed to bring a guest, pending full attendance at either the Friday or Saturday session(s). Failure to attend one of the designated sessions will result in deduction from their monthly stipend to pay for both meals/beverages consumed.
    • Policy change regarding alcohol: APA will no longer purchase alcohol for delegates prior to the dinner at the annual MTA conference.

IX. Adjournment – Motion to adjourn at 1:05pm by Jim, second by AJ. APPROVED 7‐0‐0 Next Meeting: April 20, 2018. 10:00am in EAW Offices