Meeting Minutes

May 2019

printable.pdf351.45 KB

Executive Board Meeting
Worcester State University
10:00am, May 17, 2019 

Attendance
Sherry Horneapolous (APA President, Fitchburg State), Charlie Cianfarini (APA Vice President, MCLA), Kathi Bradford (APA Secretary, Westfield State), Susan McNeill (President, Mass Art), Mark Powers (President, Framingham State), Edward Vacha (President, MMA), Alan Jackson (WORCESTER SU President), Seth Bean (MCLA President), Liz Novak (APA Web Manager), Edward Vacha (MMA President),

Absent
Aaron Childs (APA Membership), Jim Murphy (APA Treasurer), Mike Pelletier (SALEM SU President), Katie Durso (MTA Field Rep) responded to a call to clarify information.

Guest
Brian Helman (Salem SU)

Call to order 10:19

Seth made a motion to approve the minutes of 5-3, second AJ  8-0-0

Public comments
Brian – Discussion on where we stand with tuition and fees.  Sherry wrote to Vincent Pedone.  COP is not agreeing to do it across the state consistently.  She asked if she could write directly to the Salem President.  She asked how the Salem board feels about it?  Brian said they met last week and it was a major discussion point.  Asked about contract.  Sherry said it is on line. Brian said if you feel it will work, then go for it.  Typo on the website.  Front page.  Sherry will review.

President’s report

  •  Ed, Retirement specialist ready to plan sessions.  Call 617-367-7770 to find out about where you stand.   Dental question is yes, covered with one-time sign-up. 
  •  Met with statewide trainers yesterday.  Three campuses very happy with their situation, other campuses, having difficult situations.  Sherry was there for two hours.  Another issue, required to have 50 CEUs each year and most have to pay for it themselves.  Cannot say they must pay for their own CEUs.  If they want to go to a big conference, reasonable to ask for partial payment for travel.  If required for their job, university must pay for it.  Sherry will send a letter to all HR folks.  Want to add Trainers as a special group in contract.  Must be given same treatment as all APA members.  Small sub-committee working on a wish list.  Will also have conversations with trainers and campuses re: flexible scheduling.
  • Sherry is 85% done with her work on ops manual.  If you are a chair of the committee, write a blurb to Kathi.
  • Sherry has the final contract from Jim.  It is on the website.  We are considering it to be the final version.  Not initialed yet. We will print a dozen for each campus.
  • HELC meeting at MTA.  Mostly about the rallies on 5-16-19. 
  • We will be visiting Framingham on June 10.  Planning for 11am with lunch.
  • Discussion about Salem VSIP (Volunteer separation incentive program).  Still needs to be negotiated. Sherry will meet, gather information and share it with Mike P.  Sherry asked if anyone has any concerns?  Charlie recommends that we should ask for the opportunity for each campus to offer it.  After further discussion, Sherry will move forward. 
  • Called Katie to participate in PF Medical Leave Act discussion.  Katie sent to MTA legal.  They responded that it has to be bargained.  Advised to wait until after June 13 and full negotiations and work with MSCA and other units.  Either Katie or Sherry will be representative at coalition meeting.  (check email from Sherry)
  • Question of the month?  Process for changing APA job descriptions. 
  • Brief discussion of evaluations and some issues that are happening. 

(ADD A SUBSECTION for negotiations in the minutes each month): 

  • Athletic Trainer appendix
  • Evaluation process clarification
  • Job description changes
  • Salary equity section – contradictions and result of Westfield’s arbitration

Treasurer report by Seth for Jim

  • Phone interviews yesterday – strong candidates on paper. 
  • Motion to appoint Maria Brunelle as Interim Treasurer starting on July 1, 2019 until the next election process, while retaining Jim Murphy until July 31 for training and transition with the option of extension from Mark with a second by Edward.   9-0-0 Passed
  • Mike S will contact Maria.
  • Expense reports due on Tuesday, May 21 by 12pm.  Don’t forget expenses from MTA conference.

Membership

  • 1427 members, down 10 from April.  119 non-paying members, same as April
  • Still waiting to gain access to MTA’s new database system

Health and Welfare

  • Discussion of whether we need to replace AJ on Health and Welfare committee as he is retiring.  He currently serves as vice-chair.  
  • Motion to keep AJ as the representative for Health and Welfare trust until he is replaced made by Mark, second by Susan.  PASSED 8-0-1

Website 

  • First two questions of the month are up.  Looking to change formatting on that.
  • Contract is posted on site.  Draft version.
  • Any news items?  Katie sent rally video.
  • Did another security update
  • AJ suggests information re: retirement information
  • Sherry will give new president’s letter re: draft of contract.
  • “Lawyer of the day” contact information will be added.

Committees

  • ERC question has been asked.  No response yet. Barry might want to participate.  Appendix K (description of levels) is different than this informal group.
  • No additional report re: Finance
  • Professional development.  Ed and Sherry will meet on June 21 to discuss committee and goals
  •  Negotiations – see update in President’s report.

New/Old Business

  • Recognition of long-time executive board member, Alan Jackson from Worcester State) who is retiring this month. 
  • Operations Manual – please send updates to Kathi
  • Meeting at the Beechmoor at MMA on June 21.  Please get headcount to Edward, asap.  (Membership and campus officers are invited to this meeting.)
  • Reminder to send issues to Kathi in advance.

Institutional issues

  1. Salem State:  Brian representing Mike P. 
  1. Our HR has been sending out monthly updates on new hires.  One person was not on there so, we have asked for them to send the full list.
  2. We have someone who is APA eligible but wants to be a paying non-paying member.  All are members, some are paying, some are not.  Sherry asked what is the local process?  Do they get emails, etc.?  Brian will get more information.
  3. Discussion of new positions and language in contract.  We have had trainers who have been complaining about their supervisor who is possibly on their way out (Salem has a number of grievance officers and they collaborate resolutions.  Seems to be working well.)  Reminder that when two members are opposite each other in a situation should have separate representation so there is no “failure to represent” appropriately filed.

 Motion to adjourn:  1:53pm


Executive Board Meeting
Sheraton Boston Hotel
6:00pm, May 3, 2019 

Attendance
Sherry Horeanopoulos (APA President, FITCHBURG SU President), Charlie Cianfarini (APA Vice President), Susan McNeil (MASS ART President), Katie Durso (MTA field rep), Brian Cahillane (Westfield SU President), Alan Jackson (WORCESTER SU President), Seth Bean (MCLA President), Mark Powers (FRAMINGHAM SU President), Mike Storey (BRIDGEWATER SU, President), Kathi Bradford (APA Secretary)

Absent
Edward Vacha (MMA President), Aaron Childs (APA Membership), Liz Novak (APA Web Manager), Jim Murphy (APA Treasurer), Mike Pelletier (SALEM SU President),

Guests
Colby Harvish, Worcester State

Call to Order at 6:08pm by Sherry

Approval of Minutes of April 19 meeting – Motion to approve by Brian, second by Mike S.  PASSED 6-0-1

Public Comments - none

President's Report

  • HELC Update – Save until 5-17.  Meeting is tomorrow.
  • NEA-RA and MTA conference updates
    1. Delegates were approved for NEA-RA.
    2. MTA conference has started.
  • Contract update
    1. Reviewed full contract and found three sections missing.
    2. Full contract has now been sent to Jim.  Sherry will share it with us.
    3. Discussed sick leave benefits that we will now have to pay for.  Sherry will be meeting with CJ and Jim to discuss that impact bargaining is needed. 
    4. We will stick with MSCA on this.  We cannot fight it happening but, we can bargain how it will work for us. 
  • Arbitration discussion
    1. Brian discussed arbitration request at Westfield State regarding the salary adjustment process re: new licensure, degree or certificate OR significant experience.  HR has been instructing VPs to only allow for adjustments if work falls “outside the general scope of the position” and does not look like your current job.  Brian wants to take it to arbitration because it narrows the eligibility criteria for salary adjustment. 
    2. Acting pay focuses on additional work outside of the job description.  If they keep it this narrow, it will not allow our members to gain anything.  Susan indicated that the same thing is happening at Mass Art.

(KATIE arrived at 6:19pm)

AJ made a motion to take the Westfield State salary adjustment grievance to arbitration.  Second by Seth.  PASSED 8-0-0

Brian noted that he had been given a 30 day extension for this process.

  • Katie shared that the sent sick time issue to MTA legal.  Law says cost is up to a certain amount with a split between university and employee.  Indicated we will have to bargain first.  It is a statewide, all-in program.  We can negotiate amount and process.

 

Treasurer’s Report – Jim SAVE UNTIL 5/17

Payroll due on Tuesday, May 21 by 12:00pm to Jim Murphy

Membership and Data – Aaron  - SAVE UNTIL 5/17

Website – Liz – SAVE UNTIL 5/17

Health and Welfare Report – AJ 

AJ reported that meeting had to be cancelled because they did not have quorum.  Indicated that MCCC and UMASS not attending so they cannot accomplish goals for this year.

Committee Reports

  • Budget – Mike S
    1. Treasurer position update – two applicants (one from BSU and one from Westfield)  Recommendation to conference call with Westfield candidate and, if all goes well, appoint for now until next election process.
  • Employee Relations working group – Mark
    1. Mark is reaching out to Vincent to set up meeting.
    2. Bylaws changes – Any?
    3. Motion update for MTA annual meeting – submitted by Mark with a second by Sherry. 
  • Professional Development – Edward – SAVE UNTIL 5/17
  • Negotiations – see president’s report re:  sick time situation.

Old/New Business

  • FAQ of the Month for the Website – SAVE UNTIL 5/17
  • Information for Operations Manual – SAVE UNTIL 5/17

Motion to celebrate AJ’s retirement up to agreed amount by Susan, second by Sherry.  PASSED 8-0-0

Institutional Issues  (MOST WERE SAVED UNTIL 5/17)                                                    

Announcements

  • Determination re: meeting in Worcester will be made on 5/15.

Adjournment – 7:03pm Motion to adjourned by Mark, second by Mike S.  PASSED

Next Meetings   

May 17 – Meeting at Worcester State
June 21 - Meeting at MA Maritime Academy